A century and a half of liberal religious leadership in the Capital of New York.
For more than one hundred and fifty years Unitarians and Universalists have had a presence in Albany, with over 80 of those years spent in the current Albany UU location. Members have been actively involved in our local community, national movements and global issues.
Founded in 1842, the congregation built its present church at the corner of Washington Avenue and Robin Street in Albany in 1925. A religious education and administrative wing was added in 1962 and a new community room wing in 2007.
Among historical highlights:
- In 1998, Albany UU voted to become a Welcoming Congregation, affirming its commitment to inclusiveness for bisexual, gay, lesbian and transgender members.
- In 2016, Albany UU committed to supporting Black Lives Matter activism and hung a banner outside our main entrance proclaiming that intent.
In 2015, Albany UU updated our mission statement:
We welcome everyone. Our Unitarian Universalist community seeks truth and deeper meaning, pursues justice through inspired action, and cultivates compassion and love for all connected by the web of life.
Albany UU is one of more than 1,000 independent congregations joined as members of the Unitarian Universalist Association to support and strengthen each other and give voice to Unitarian Universalist principles.