Our Ministry and Staff
Our excellent ministry and staff support the many programs, services and Albany UU family. Contact our staff with any questions you may have anytime!
Rev. Samuel A. Trumbore, Minister
Before coming to Albany in 1999, Rev. Trumbore served in Port Charlotte, Florida for six years and three years in a consulting role in Niagara Falls, New York, the congregation in which he was ordained. He received his education for ministry in Berkeley, California at Starr King School for the Ministry. He is Past President of Iroquois Chapter of the Unitarian Universalist Ministers Association and the Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Fellowship. He is past President of a Capital Region faith based community organizing project called ARISE, A Regional Initiative Supporting Empowerment. Rev. Trumbore continues to serve in various non-profit leadership and support roles in the Capital Region of New York. He is also active with the West Hill Minister’s Fellowship and Interfaith Impact of New York State. Rev. Trumbore is married to Philomena Moriarty Trumbore and together they have a son Andrew born in 1992.
Leah Purcell, Director of Religious Education and Family Ministry
Leah is responsible for:
- Assisting people of all ages explore and develop their religious beliefs in the context of our seven UU principles. The greatest and most direct involvement of the DRE is with programming at Albany UU for children and youth.
- Leah partners with parents by equipping them with resources to become actively and intentionally involved in the religious growth of their children. She is also a resource for parents when they are having difficulties in their family lives.
- Leah lends guidance, support and direct involvement with Religious Education programming for lifespan faith development for adults (of any age).
- Leah is a member of Albany UU’s Safe Congregation Task Force which guides implementation of the Board’s policy, Toward a Safe Congregation.
- Leah participates in and facilitates the activities of UU organizations in the larger world. This includes the Hudson Mohawk UU’s of NY cluster, the Central East Region and LREDA (Liberal Religious Educators Association).
Leah received her RE credentialing through the Unitarian Universalist Association in 2011 at the Credentialed level. She is the convener of the DRE’s of CRUUNY. She serves on the St. Lawrence Nominating Committee. She also serves on the LREDA 21st Century Fund Grant Committee and as a mentor in the credentialing program through the Unitarian Universalist Association.
Tammy Hathaway, Church Administrator
Tammy is responsible for and can assist you with:
- General direction and administration of church operations and facility management.
- Supervision of administrative and custodial staff including managing human resources.
- Congregational communications.
- Support for church programs in general, the membership process, the Board of Trustees, and the Public Relations, Building Use, and Building and Grounds committees.
Tammy has a BA in Liberal Arts and has been serving in church administration since 2009; beginning at BisMan UU in Bismarck, ND and currently here at Albany UU. She lives in Averill Park with her husband and sons.
Dr. Richard Porterfield, Music Director
Dr. Richard Porterfield is a Visiting Assistant Professor at UAlbany, where he teaches courses in music theory and analysis, ear-training, musicianship, and the philosophy and biology of music. His 2014 CUNY dissertation combines historical and theoretical research to propose a theory and method of analysis for the tonal structure of modal melody in Gregorian chant. Before coming to UAlbany, he taught at Columbia, NYU, and elsewhere in New York City. Rick is a founding member of the vocal ensemble Lionheart, with which he has performed concerts at Carnegie Hall, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the National Cathedral, and throughout North America and Europe; he can be heard with Lionheart in recordings on the Sony, Nimbus, Koch, and Cantaloupe labels. He has played organ and conducted choirs and orchestras in Episcopal, Lutheran, and Roman Catholic churches, and has performed and recorded as vocal soloist and chorister for Voices of Ascension, the Gregg Smith Singers, and for various concert choirs, churches, and synagogues. Most recently, he was Associate Choirmaster at Saint Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal Church in Manhattan. Rick has composed and directed his own music for the Classic Stage Company, Target Margin Theater Laboratory, churches, and dance companies; he has also worked as a playwright, actor, director, and performance artist at The Public Theater and other venues. Rick and his wife Jean live in Albany; their son Siegfried is a student at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
Sapphire Correa, Administrative Assistant
Originally from Long Island, Sapphire is a recent graduate of the University at Albany with her degree in Communication and Public Health. Sapphire can assist with room rentals and reservations and other clerical tasks. Sapphire is here part-time, and is the friendly person you are likely to meet when you contact us.
Elizabeth Baldes, Religious Education Assistant
Elizabeth teaches at a local private nursery school and has years of experience at Albany UU as a teaching team volunteer and Religious Education Council member. A Capital Region native and lifelong learner, she is a graduate of Empire State College. She and her husband Rich live in Albany with their two school-age daughters.
Tracey Hickey, Lead Youth Adviser
Our new hire as Lead Youth Advisor, Tracey Hickey, will work with the volunteer advisors and youth to coordinate activities and she’ll provide continuity for the group. Tracey has a wide range of volunteer experiences including social justice projects and facilitating the Our Whole Lives program at the elementary and 7th/8th grade levels here at Albany UU. She is a Pennsylvania native working toward her Master of Social Work degree at SUNY Albany. Sheis excited to bring her background in social justice, writing and the arts to her work with youth at Albany UU. Tracey lives in Pine Hills with her boyfriend and two perfect cats.
Will be Updated