October 26, 2019 | 9:30 AM
Preemptive Radical Inclusion: Bear Witness, Save Lives
Fall Gathering of the Hudson Mohawk Cluster of UU Congregations with presenter CB Beal, M. Div, recipient of the UUA’s 2019 Angus MacLean Award for Excellence in Religious Education
Saturday, October 26, 2019, 9:30 am – 3:30 pm
Unitarian Universalist Society of Schenectady
1221 Wendell Ave., Schenectady, NY 12308
Join other area UUs in Schenectady on Saturday, October 26, to learn and share new skills and strategies for strengthening and transforming our congregations as we increase equity and justice. We will reflect upon the complexity of privilege, marginalization, and oppression; notice and assess our own perspectives and invite new ones; bear witness to one another; deeply feel our responses, our wondering; and explore how we live out our commitment to justice in our congregational life. We will do this with worship, music, reflection, sharing and bearing witness, hula hoops and post-it notes, video and humor.
This workshop is appropriate for high-school-aged and older.
Childcare will be provided if requested by Monday, Oct. 21.
Lunch will be provided with voluntary donations requested to cover the cost of this and our presenter’s expenses.
Same day registration is OK, but pre-registration is better!!
MORE INFO & REGISTER ONLINE at: https://uuschenectady.breezechms.com/form/759b74
Logistics and Details:
Childcare: If you plan to bring children to be cared for by our childcare staff, please indicate the number and age(s) of children when you register online. (If uncertain of # at this point, kindly let us know by Monday Oct. 21.)
Lunch: A Baked Potato Bar & Salads will be provided for lunch. Please note any dietary needs when you register to help us plan.
Cost: A Sliding Scale Registration donation of $5-$40 is requested to help defray costs and support our presenter. Please click on the dropdown menu to select a dollar amount when you register. If none of the set amounts is appropriate, use the blank option to insert an amount. Know that no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
PLEASE REGISTER ONLINE at: htt p://bit.ly/uuinclusion
Workshop organizers are practicing Preemptive Radical Inclusion and encourage participants to do so as well. Below are some steps to note:
• This workshop is being held in the sanctuary and dining room of the UU Society of Schenectady.
• Accessibility: The building is accessible, as is the top circle of the sanctuary under the dome. The lower circles of seats in the sanctuary are accessed by stairs.
• There are gender inclusive restrooms immediately adjacent to the sanctuary, and a single stall restroom in the dining room on the same floor.
• There will be a sound system in use for all speakers, and a slide deck will be used to
provide visual learning points.
• We will practice Preemptive Radical Inclusion in our meal planning, preparation, and labeling so that people can feel comfortable trusting they know what is in their food.
• Avoid the use of perfume or scented products.
• Pets are not allowed on the Schenectady campus without specific authorization.
Working service animals are, of course, welcome.
• People are invited to bring handwork, comfortable chairs, a favorite note taking method, or whatever else is needed in order to be present and comfortable in the room.