During this time of physical distancing, our building is closed to most events.
The Albany UU Ministries and Operations Team (MOT) may consider requests for very limited use of our facility at 405 Washington Avenue under controlled, specific circumstances.
- Our review and approval of applications will be based on policy guidance from the Albany UU Board of Trustees as well as current state and local public health directives.
- Using information that you provide in the application, the MOT will consider the risks and benefits to participants and to our congregation.
- In most cases, the MOT will not approve requests for activities that can take place in some alternative way, such as Zoom.
- Neither singing nor eating will be allowed in the building.
- For any visit to our building, even to pick up or drop off an item, you need to receive pre-clearance from staff (Tammy Hathaway: email@example.com). This enables staff to schedule visitors to avoid overlap.
- For either type of building use – brief visit or approved activity – each individual must fill out a short health survey prior to or immediately upon entry of the building, each time they enter. The survey is available online (preferred) and in paper form at the membership desk.
- Everyone must wear a mask at all times while in the building, and visits are expected to be as brief as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact the church office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Use of Our Building – please follow the procedures and use the application link above.
When it is safe to fully reopen our building, the following Rental Information, Applications and Fee Schedules will again apply. Until then, the information and links below are primarily for information only.
For Public or Albany UU Member Use
To rent either classroom or large hall space, contact the office at email@example.com or (518) 463-7135.
- Excel Rental Application
- PDF Rental Application
- Rental Donation Application
- Rental Fee Schedule
- Rental Restrictions
- Insurance Certificate Information
- Alcohol Permit Information
- Kitchen Use Policy
- Building Floor Plan – First Floor
- Building Floor Plan – Second Floor
- Building Floor Plan – Basement
Our facilities can accommodate a variety of special events from concerts and weddings to theatrical performances and nonprofit fundraisers. Community groups rent rooms on a monthly basis for various support groups; teachers rent space to give workshops; an organization can hold meetings they can’t accommodate in their own space or even an off-site retreat. Weddings held in the Sanctuary or Community Hall, and can be followed by a reception in Channing Hall. Community Hall, which can seat 300 people with flexible seating, is also available for conferences and social events.
Donation of rental space:
On limited occasions during the year, the First Unitarian Universalist Society of Albany donates the use of its facilities to nonprofit organizations with limited funding. The Social Responsibilities Council may approve a donation to an organization for a meeting or event that will provide a service to the community consistent with the focus areas listed below. If you believe that your event meets the criteria for a donation, please complete both the rental application and donation application form and submit them to: firstname.lastname@example.org or in person, 405 Washington Ave. Albany, NY 12206
Albany UU’s Social Responsibilities Council collaborates with other organizations in the community on issues of social concern. It focuses on three areas:
1. Making a difference in the lives of children and families in the city of Albany,
2. Becoming a leader in sustainable environmental practices, and
3. Advocating for public policies that are in line with our UU values and principles.
Room and area information:
The Sanctuary, halls, and classrooms may be rented by members of the congregation and by non-members. Arrangements for either can be made by contacting the church office (518) 463-7135 or email@example.com.
ACCESSIBILITY: There is a handicapped accessible ramp at the Washington Avenue and the West Street entrances as well as an elevator that provides access to all floors.
PARKING: Situated in downtown Albany, parking is on the street. On special occasions and only when classes are not in session at the University at Albany (across the street) we can request permission to use their parking lot. Four to six weeks lead time is needed to gain this permission. There is also a municipal lot two blocks east of the church on Washington Avenue.
INSURANCE: All renters will provide a certificate of insurance for their event. Typically this is provided by your homeowners’ or business’ insurance company. If you hire a caterer or DJ they will also need to show proof of insurance.
Room Use Requirements
FURNITURE: Tables and chairs in all rooms can be arranged as you wish. In some instances non-profit and member renters may elect to do their own set up. Set up by staff is also available for a fee. Reset options are more limited and typically is done by staff for a fee.
KITCHEN USE: We allow private caterers to deliver and serve food at our facility. Or, you can bring meals or refreshments in for your group. When your event ends, you (or your caterer) are responsible for clearing the rooms of all food, beverages and garbage.
EQUIPMENT: Sound equipment (microphones and sound systems), easels, video projector, pianos (with the approval of our music director), are available on request. Renters must provide their own paper and markers for the easels and their own laptop to use with the projector.
HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING: Community Hall and the library (opened in 2007) are fully air conditioned. In the Religious Education wing (1962 building) offices and some classrooms have window air conditioners. Channing Hall and the Sanctuary (1924 building) are also fully air conditioned. All heat is operated by timed thermostats and is set by staff for your event. Please do not change thermostats.
SMOKING: Allowed only outside the building on Washington Ave. Please use receptacles.
We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions without prior notice. We will do our best to update this page as changes occur.